Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Let's Hear It For Work Study!

Have you ever seen the cartoon where Bugs Bunny ran around and played every position on the baseball field by himself? That's what I felt like during tonight's women's basketball game against Corban.

In addition to performing my usual in-game duties as public address announcer, I also did the official scorebook and some spotting for Cody Harrod, sports information director at Cascade College, who inputed our computer stats this evening.

Hosting games during Christmas Break and Spring Break are a special challenge for us. Unlike a lot of schools, my entire game day crew consists of Work Study students. That includes everybody from our computer stats people to the scorebook to the scoreboard and clocks. When we have an extended school break, they all go home. Which leaves me scrambling for other sports information directors and others on campus who can help out.

When they are here, though, I don't have a worry in the world about the job getting done. Each one of my workers are first class people and do a very professional job with their duties. They give up the chance to cheer at games to be part of it...and a very important part of it.

Case in point. Of my 12 workers this year, only two worked for me last year, which meant a lot of training in the four days between when school started and our Boxer Kickoff Volleyball Tournament. After the first two matches, I knew that my team would have no problem handling things. They do the job and do it well.

I am thankful to those who have taken time and volunteered their services for the two women's basketball games over the Christmas Break. This includes Bob Larkins & Bobby Larkins (a former work study student of mine), Concordia SID Jason Dormeyer, Cascade SID Cody Harrod, Willamette SID Robert McKinney, Colin Stapp (Pacific director of multimedia & photography) and Lance Kissler (Pacific director of marketing).

But I am even more thankful for my team members who perform a great job day and in and day out. Thank you guys and gals. You make my life easier.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home